dinsdag 26 december 2017

Niels' Top 10 Albums of 2017 - Number 6

6. Steven Wilson – To The Bone



Predictably, any album by the reluctant King of Progressive Rock will end up at the top of all the prog community's collective end-of-year list (it's already topped the one at Prog Magazine). Some people will devoutly worship everything His Wilsonness releases, regardless of what it is. I'm obviously not that guy (I didn't get The Raven, for one thing). Others will scream betrayal at the (seemingly) more accessible, pop-oriented and even – gasp – “commercial” leanings of this year's To The Bone. I'm not that guy either. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle.

As for Wilson himself, he has long outgrown the need to care about anyone's opinion. Alienate the fanbase? Heck, if Mikael can do it... Wilson is making albums only for himself at this point, and it shows. He picks a creative direction and admirably sticks to it; in this case, making an intelligent, somewhat subversive pop album in the vein of Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush.


I know my opinion doesn't matter, but for the record: I think To The Bone is good, but not as good as Hand Cannot Erase, which remains his most essential solo work. There's a lot to enjoy at the song level, tough on the album level I can't really see the whole as more than the sum of its parts. Fortunately, SW never leaves the prog too far behind, judging from things like “Detonation” and “Refuge”. Only in prog rock is a harmonica solo one of the coolest things you'll hear all year. As for the “pop” thing: If all pop songs were as good as “Permanating”, why, they could make a pop fan out of me yet!


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten