zaterdag 30 december 2023

2023 Number 2: Moon Safari

NIELS' TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2023: Number 2
Moon Safari – Himlabacken vol. 2


Back again to Sweden. It’s the land of Opeth, and the land of ABBA, both the moodiest and happiest music always comes from Sweden. I’ve always got a lot of moody stuff on my list, but ultimately the upbeat stuff wins out. I don’t think there’s a single more profoundly likable band in the progosphere than Moon Safari. You’d need to be a pretty big cynic to not be swept up in this bouncy, cheerful, high energy sugar rush rock music full of massive vocal harmonies – they are not just a band, they are also a choir! Even if you’re not a prog person I think it’s impossible not to like Moon Safari on some level. It’s just so pure. But it’s not an empty confection, there’s plenty of musical depth to it, too.

This is the third album of theirs I’ve heard and by far my favourite, it really feels like they’ve taken it to the next level. In addition to the classic prog influences there’s a bit of Queen in there, some Beach Boys and Beatles, some ELO, some Van Halen, yes, some ABBA. Just endlessly enjoyable bouncy music, only this bounces in odd time signatures. If there’s one album on my list that I’d recommend to anyone no matter who you are, easily this one. Listening to volume 1 is not necessary, though it certainly wouldn’t do you any harm (oddly, I never got into that one). Even that twenty minute apocalypse song will bring a smile to your face. The most addictive album of the year. 

(Many apologies if your name is Emma)



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten