dinsdag 26 december 2023

2023 Number 6: Southern Empire

NIELS' TOP 10 ALBUMS OF 2023: Number 6
Southern Empire – Another World



I was late to the Southern Empire party. I didn’t get to digest their 2018 album Civilization until a few years after the fact, so I was the last one to appreciate that album for the stone-cold masterpiece it is – looking back on my 2018 year-end list, it would have easily made it to first or second place. Civilization showed prog(-metal) where its post-Haken future lies, and the Aussies have returned five years later.

Another World is not a masterpiece on quite the same level. It is simply very good. Complex, bombastic and unstoppable, here’s a slice of contemporary melodic prog that occasionally veers towards metal and occasionally towards pop. The fact that this made my top ten and Haken (who really are the standard bearers for this kind of stuff) did not should also tell you something. It’s top quality in its genre, endlessly listenable and full of energy, brimming with classic songs and instrumental explosions. It’s great when I’m in the mood for BIG music. Also mellotrons.

It’s merely destined to be my second favourite Southern Empire album, and also my second favourite Australian album this year.

 



Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten